Re: What is RDF Schema?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:26:57 -0500
To: pfps@research.bell-labs.com
Cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org, brian_mcbride@hp.com

Peter,

Thanks for your Last Call review comment on RDF Schema in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0149.html

Sorry I'm late with these responses. You ask 'what is RDF schema?' and
note that the specification appears unclear on this. Rather than treat this
as an editorial fixup, I think it best that the RDFCore WG treat this
as formal issue.
Brian, could you create a LC open issue entry for this?

Aside:
I think this is related to the 'rename RDF Schema?' issue,
ie. http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#webont-01
in that as we've moved towards calling this a 'vocabulary description
language', rather than 'RDF Schema', there is less tendency towards
using the noun form, ie. we find ourselves asking what the RDFS/RDFVDL
language is (answer: a semantic extension of RDF), rather
than what _an_ RDF Schema is.

Anyway, I agree that we could be clearer on this in the spec.

Thanks for your careful attention,

cheers,

Dan