Re: language tags in typed RDF literals

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Brian McBride wrote:

> Before last call, this is perhaps something we could have considered.

I thought this _did_ crop again before last call, but "we'd already
decided it".

> How important is this Pat.  Is it worth a second last call?  If its just a
> case of extra work in writing the semantics - then I think you've made your
> bed.  If it has undesirable externally visible consequences, that might be
> different.

I think Pat's answered this:

> At 18:01 11/02/2003 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
> >The current design of RDF literals is needlessly complicated and kind of
> >silly.

The "needless complication" is error-prone (as we've seen). If this was
just a question of Pat making his own bed, that's fine, but RDF is
positioned to be the basis of other layers of the SW cake. If there's a
straightforward way (Pat suggests two) to remove complication at the
bottom layer, this would have a technical benefit for higher layers,
surely, since it removes what's proven to be a stumbling block when it
comes to getting the details fo the semantics right?

If it's more important that we finish soon without a second last call,
fine. If the benefit is that Pat's remaking the beds of anyone who
follows in his footsteps, then weighing up the benefit to other model
theorists who might wish to build on RDF's foundation would seem to be
appropriate.

I'm not seeking to delay here, just to ensure that whatever decision is
made is made for the right long-term reasons.

Usenet: The separation of content AND presentation - simultaneously.