Re: Issue danc-02 Re: 2 formalities in RDF concepts

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 11:09, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> Hi Dan
>
> thanks for your comment on goofy literals.
>
> Before the Working Group discusses this comment I wanted to check that you had
> seen the line in that subsection:
> [[
> The lexical form is present in all RDF literals; the language identifier and
> the datatype URI may be absent from an RDF literal.
> ]]
> and find that insufficient.

Ah, no, in fact, I didn't see that.

I suppose that's sufficient, but...

> I take it that the text you would prefer is:
>
> [[
> A literal in an RDF graph containing up to three components called:

I can't parse that. I don't really like the
	An _x_ contains _n_ components:
style anyway. Saying what something has doesn't define it.

I have 2 arms. But I am not my two arms.

Suggest:

	A literal is either a plain literal or a typed literal.

	A plain literal is either
	* a Unicode string in Normal Form C
	* a pair of such a string and a language tag

	A typed literal is a plain literal paired with
	a URI reference.