Re: Issue danc-02 Re: 2 formalities in RDF concepts

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:09:27 +0100
To: www-rdf-comments@w3.org, connolly@w3.org

Hi Dan

thanks for your comment on goofy literals.

Before the Working Group discusses this comment I wanted to check that you had
seen the line in that subsection:
The lexical form is present in all RDF literals; the language identifier and
the datatype URI may be absent from an RDF literal.
and find that insufficient.

I take it that the text you would prefer is:

A literal in an RDF graph containing up to three components called:

+ The lexical form being a Unicode [UNICODE] string in Normal Form C [NFC]
+ The language identifier as defined by [RFC-3066], normalized to lowercase
+ The datatype URI being an RDF URI reference (optional).

A plain literal is one in which the datatype URI is absent.

A typed literal is one in which the datatype URI is present.

Have I understood correctly, or could we just leave it as it is?