Monotony

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:30:00 -0700
To: "www-rdf-comments@w3.org" <www-rdf-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com" <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

Re: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0067.html

Where Patrick Stickler says:

     "This either seems non-monotonic" ...

This unwritten law that states that logic on the semantic web must
always be non-monotonic is getting to sound more like a religious
incantation than a pragmatic rule of thumb.  Personally I think it is
time to examine this liturgy in the light of day.   Can anyone show me
how you expect to always preserve monotony in a world where new
knowledge can be discovered, facts can change, and anybody can say
anything about anything ?

Pertinent graphs:
http://robustai.net/mentography/monotonic.gif
Incidentally, Guha, did I get the graph right?

Seth Russell
http://radio.weblogs.com/0113759/