Re: Updated RDF Grammar

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:34:26 +0000
To: "Karsten-A. Otto" <ottoka@cs.tu-berlin.de>
cc: www-rdf-comments@w3.org
>>>"Karsten-A. Otto" said:
> Hello,
>
> while reading the updated grammar for RDF, I noticed that production
> 6.1 (RDF) does not allow the abbreviated form <rdf:RDF/>. I think this
> should be added as an alternative for the case when no descriptions
> are present, resulting in <rdf:RDF></rdf:RDF>. XML treats these two
> forms as equivalent, so it should be allowed for compatibility, and
> for completeness as all other productions explicitly include the
> abbreviated form.

The new grammar is in terms of the Infoset so cannot even distinguish
the above form; so both alternatives are allowed.

In the editors draft of the next working draft, the <rdf:RDF/> element is:
  http://ilrt.org/discovery/2001/07/rdf-syntax-grammar/#RDF
and has a possibly-empty list of content.

Although, I can't see what use an empty <rdf:RDF/> would be, it is still OK.

I hope this answers your questions

Dave