Re: Concern: XQuery <> valid XML

At 05:06 PM 2/27/01 -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Would having an XML representation of an XQuery solve your problem,
>assuming that the XML and XQuery representations could be converted
>directly to each other?

Yes, this would satisfy my concerns at least.  Although I'd prefer that
there be exactly one surface syntax, based on XML, this is certainly far
better than having exactly one syntax that's based on SQL.

I should like to think that the true base form of the query system is the
algebra, and that both the XML encoding and the FLWR encoding would be
regarded as derived from this common semantic model, rather than from
either of the surface syntax forms.  Is that how you see it too?

Are you able to make a commitment that this will happen (and - I hope this
won't sound insulting - that it won't be postponed indefinitely?)

best regards

Jim