Re: Concern: XQuery <> valid XML

At 03:22 PM 2/28/2001 -0800, Jim Davis wrote:

>I should like to think that the true base form of the query system is the
>algebra, and that both the XML encoding and the FLWR encoding would be
>regarded as derived from this common semantic model, rather than from
>either of the surface syntax forms.  Is that how you see it too?

Our expressions must be cleanly defined in our mapping to the query algebra.

I personally think that the XML encoding and the FLWR encoding should be
defined in terms of the abstract syntax. If I map from XQuery to the
Algebra, then map back, I do not necessarily obtain the original XQuery
expression. I would like an XML representation that does preserve it.

>Are you able to make a commitment that this will happen (and - I hope this
>won't sound insulting - that it won't be postponed indefinitely?)

Well, if you want a commitment for anything, you should probably ask for a
commitment by sending a message to www-xml-query-comments@w3.org. On this
list, I can express my personal opinions.

Let me ask what exactly you want: do you want more than a clean mapping
from XQuery to the Query Algebra? If we don't do that, we've got a big
failure on our hands. Or are you asking for a one-to-one mapping between
XQuery and the Query Algebra? If so, why?

Jonathan

These are my opinions right now. They may be quite different from the
opinions of Software AG, the W3C XML Query Working Group, or the opinions
that I will have after reading and considering your response.