Re: First public Working Draft of W3C XML Query Language

From: Jonathan Robie <Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:24:15 -0500
To: Bob Kline <bkline@rksystems.com>
Cc: www-ql@w3.org
At 11:13 AM 2/16/2001 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
>On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>
>Thanks, Jonathan.  I'm looking at http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery, and if
>I'm reading this correctly it appears that the draft recommendation
>supports queries against individual documents as well as collections of
>documents.  However, unless I've missed some of the juicy bits, it seems
>a bit vague on how to specify the latter (that is, a query against a
>collection of XML documents).  Could you nudge me toward the part of the
>recommendation I should be reading to find the details for specifying a
>query against more than one XML document?

I need to look at the spec when I have more time. For now, consider the
following expression:

         /foo

In XPath, that resolves to a single node, the document node. In XQuery, the
input context can contain a collection of documents, and the expression
resolves to all the foo elements that are root nodes of some document in
the collection.

I will check the specification to see if this is clearly stated.

Jonathan