Working draft of XQuery

From: Michael Kifer <kifer@cs.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:57:08 -0500
To: www-ql@w3.org

I have a question about types in the just published XQuery spec.

A type can be an XML Schema type or ELEMENT. The latter is a
keyword rather than a data type and seems disconnected from the schema
types. Also, compared to the ealier draft, the type specification keyword
ATTRIBUTE is missing. It is unclear how any of these relate to the XML
schema types.

For instance, can I relate ELEMENT to a data type in XML schema using
instanceof?  Can one specify that a function can take any node in the
document tree as an argument?

Is this disconnect a stop-gap measure until things get ironed out with the
XML schema people or there is some grand design behind it, which I am
missing in the spec?

	--michael