Re: Answer to Ian Hickson: Formal vs prose language normativity

* Karl Dubost wrote:
>3. The technology is published as a REC.

(Note that this is likely more important for CRs than for RECs as for
RECs you would have other implementations that you need to consider
when resolving conflicts.)

>A few issues:
>     * The WG doesn't exist anymore
>     * The WG is not anymore chartered to make conceptual changes to
>the specification
>     * The WG is slow to answer

It is clearly not acceptable for the W3C to have RECs that are neither
maintained nor rescinded; if this can happen it's a bug in the Process
document and should indeed be fixed. Clearly though "W3C makes every
effort to maintain its Recommendations" so I don't think there are such
issues except if W3C does not follow it's own Process document.

>The decision of the WG, I think, is in that sense being pragmatic.
>Well, we recognize something bad might happen, and in this case you
>should try to follow this rule. It doesn't mean that the WG will not
>fix it, by the process document the WG has to fix it.

That's a SHOULD and "The Process Document explains how a WG can carry
out its wishes" but does not require Working Groups to wish for their
specifications beeing maintained...