Re: Proposed Quality Tip -- Time in URIs (was URI Usability)

On Apr 14, 2004, at 04:43, Rajasekaran Deepak wrote:
> Proposed quality tip: "Time in URIs"
> <http://students.iiit.net/~deepakr/time-uri/>
> (with '<base href="http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/" />' and related changes)

Thanks for this contribution.

When reading this draft tip, I come to wonder if the goals of the tips
have been made very clear. The material in the tip is interesting, but
there are a few mistakes that probably come from a misunderstanding of
the idea of quick tips. I hope you won't mind if I use my review of
your tip to illustrate important principles for the tips.

- Whether people will read the full tip will depend on whether the
title of the tip is interesting. "Time in URIs" does not excite my
curiosity, it merely makes me go "uh?". And I guess "dated URIs" may
be, if not more interesting, at least clearer.

- What's the goal of the tip? A tip is supposed to be an interesting
tidbit of information, a short "gotcha", something Web
designers/developers would be eager to learn. What's the purpose of
"Time in URIs"? We don't know.

- We have to remember that these are "quick tips", not one chapter in a
larger document. A short introduction is in order.

- The tips are supposed to be helpful bits of information, not
authoritative, dry specifications. The tips should therefore suggest
and justify, not slam "must"s at the reader. In our case, with "Time in
URIs", there is no justification, just two cases and what must be done?
Why? Why not do the contrary? What's the point? Tips have to be short,
granted, but too short is just not helpful.

- [corollary] "Must" could be used in a tip when quoting a normative
specification. If you do, make that clear by using proper quoting
markup (<blockquote>, <q>). Rewording the normative verbiage may also
be a good idea if it helps explain the concept.

- Making references to other documents is a good idea, if they develop
the ideas of the tip, or give techniques, etc. In the case of "Time in
URIs", why not give a small explanation with the references? Also, I
don't think all of them, esp. the link to the mail thread, bring a lot
of value added.

- If making reference to a normative specification, try to explain its
acronym(s) or give its full name, with the appropriate markup if
possible. In this case, what's ISO8601? What does it talk about? How is
it relevant to the tip? is it an ISO standard on dates/time in URIs?

> To the QA Team:
> 1. Kindly link to this tip from <http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/>.

Although, as you will have noticed from my comments, I do not think
this tip is mature enough to be published, I am indeed adding this to
the list of draft tips. I am also removing "URI usability", since it is
agreed that this document should at least be split in parts before
being published as a tip.

> 2. I suggest having a one-week review period since the tip "URI
> Usability"
>     has already been discussed.

"approximately two weeks" is not a rule but a decent approximation of
how long it usually takes for a tip to be reviewed, no point in making
an exception here.

Thank you
--
olivier