Re: Looking for tips and help for an XKMS CR test suite

From: Mary Brady <mbrady@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:51:41 -0400
To: <www-qa@w3.org>, <jose.kahan@w3.org>
Hi Jose,
We have been involved in a number of testing efforts within W3C - I'll
try to pass on some information on what we have done with these groups.
In almost all of the efforts, we have initially developed a process
document -
It's been useful in identifying how the testing process is going to work
In particular, in identifying ownership and copyright info on both
materials, and published materials [1] [2] [3].  Typically, in these
efforts, we
try to put together a test description dtd [4], or schema [5], that both
the test and gives enough information about the test to put the
processor in
the proper mode to run the test - ie, valid/invalid, entities,
whitespace, etc.
Running the tests and reporting the results is typically an exercise
left to the
user :-).  The WG's that have used this process to exit CR have required

companies to run the tests and report back their results in a predefined

format, which is also defined in the test description file.  Then it is
straight-forward to come up with a transformation to display the results
in a
color-coded table.
You might also want to check out the way that the DOM Test Suite [6] was
together, particularly if you are interested in testing multiple
bindings.  Here,
we developed a DOM Test Suite Markup Language, developed tests in this
language, and used transformations to convert them to specific bindings.

Here, instead of using a common test description language, the tests
written to fit in with JUnit and JSUnit testing frameworks.  The test
are run,
typically by Curt Arnold, and he brings problems forth to the WG.
it can be done this way, it is very labor intensive, and sometimes bugs
I hope this helps - if you have further questions, I'll do my best to
Mary Brady
[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/06/DOMConformanceTS-Process-20020627
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Test/XMLConformanceTS-Process-20031210.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/TestSuite/tools/testsuite.dtd