Re: QA Framework documents Available for Review

Ian,

I'll reply separately about your most substantive issue -- the fate of
Chapter 2 of "Framework: Introduction".  Otherwise, thanks for your
comments, which I'll incorporate into the next draft.  A couple of comments
inline...

At 06:06 PM 1/4/2002 -0500, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>[...]
>1) Status section: Delete the next to last para about
>    checkpoints/guidelines; this is not really status
>    information about the Introduction and this material
>    is repeated in chapter 3.
>
>2) 1.1 Introduction: The list of documents in the paragraph
>    with "The document family covers:..." and the bulleted
>    list after that should be combined (in a more descriptive
>    bulleted list).
>
>3) 3.5.2 Introduction: If chapter 2 is moved to the Web, this
>    needs to be updated.
>
>4) I liked section 4.1.3: Who will find which documents important.
>    The list is kind of long, and it may be interesting to have
>    the mapping in the other direction: For a given chapter/document,
>    who should read it.

We have done a little bit of this in section 3.5, Roadmap.  But not down to
the "chapter" level.  We'll take a look at it.

You comment brings up a lurking problem that has been in the back of my
mind (and I haven't yet put it into the Issues List) -- it is impossible to
link now from Intro to the chapters in any parts other than Procs&Ops, as
they don't exist.  So ... how do we progress this family?  Do these early
parts progress to FPWD, or maybe even SPWD or TPWD, and then "wait" for the
other parts (Spec Guidelines, Tech Guidelines, ..) to catch up?  So that
they all "finish" (whatever that means!) at the same time?

>5) I haven't read the operational guidelines yet, but I suspect
>    4.2 might be more appropriate there than in the intro to the
>    framework.

Interesting thought.  I think this is something we could do later (after
FPWD) if it looks like a good idea -- should be come clearer as the
documents solidify some.

>I look forward to following and learning from this work!

Thanks again for your comments.  ("Following" is too modest, as we are
borrowing heavily from your work in WAI, in the guidelines/checkpoints style.)

-Lofton.

Lofton Henderson
1919 Fourteenth St., #604
Boulder, CO   80302