Re: QA Framework documents Available for Review

Lynne Rosenthal wrote:

> QA IG
>
> As part of the QA WG's charter to solidify and extend quality practices,
> the WG is developing a QA Framework that addresses organizational, process
> and technical guidelines for achieving quality specifications and
> implementations of those specifications.  The Framework family of documents
> are: Introduction, Process & Operational Guidelines, Specification
> Guidelines, and Technical Guidelines.  As part of QA IG charter, we are
> tasked as "the first to review QAWG deliverables."  Discussion drafts of
> the WG's Framework documents, Introduction and Process &Operational
> Guidelines are available for review (http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/#docs).  The
> WG plans to progress these documents to first Working Draft in the near
> future, and welcomes the IG's comments.

Hi Lynne,

I've read the Introduction document [1] and
will read the Process doc [2] as well.

The Introduction is very helpful, in particular
chapter one. My primary comment is that I don't
believe that chapter 2 belongs in the document
but should be moved to the Web site. Chapter 2
is about the QA Activity and that information
should on http://www.w3.org/QA/ or nearby.

A couple of reasons not to put this information
in a Note:

 1) People won't look for it there. They will
    look for it on the QA Web site.

 2) It is likely to change and having a snapshot
    of the current state of the QA Activity
    is probably not that important.

I recommend consulting the WAI Resources page
as an example of how to list QA resources. I think
that the description found in chapter 2 of
what the resources are for is more effective
than the short resource list currently at
the bottom of /QA.

Thus, I strongly recommend incorporating chapter 2
into the QA Web site before publishing the
framework as a first public Working Draft.

Other than that, my comments are pretty minor:

1) Status section: Delete the next to last para about
   checkpoints/guidelines; this is not really status
   information about the Introduction and this material
   is repeated in chapter 3.

2) 1.1 Introduction: The list of documents in the paragraph
   with "The document family covers:..." and the bulleted
   list after that should be combined (in a more descriptive
   bulleted list).

3) 3.5.2 Introduction: If chapter 2 is moved to the Web, this
   needs to be updated.

4) I liked section 4.1.3: Who will find which documents important.
   The list is kind of long, and it may be interesting to have
   the mapping in the other direction: For a given chapter/document,
   who should read it.

5) I haven't read the operational guidelines yet, but I suspect
   4.2 might be more appropriate there than in the intro to the
   framework.

I look forward to following and learning from this work!

 _ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qaframe-intro
[2] http://www.w3.org/QA/WG/qaframe-ops.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/Resources/

> Lynne S. Rosenthal
> NIST, 100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
> Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970
> (301)975-3353, fax (301)948-6213
> lynne.rosenthal@nist.gov

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447