Re: conformance vs. compliance

From: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: 09 Aug 2002 17:53:38 +0200
To: Mark Skall <mark.skall@nist.gov>
Cc: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>, Art.Barstow@nokia.com, www-qa@w3.org

Le ven 09/08/2002 ŗ 17:49, Mark Skall a ťcrit :
> Most people use the two terms synonymously.  Let's not proliferate
> additional terms. We should encourage the use of "conformance".  That's the
> word we use.  There's enough incompatibility of terminology already.  By
> defining compliance (as identical to conformance or very much like it)
> we're encouraging usage of two words to say the same thing and thus
> encouraging (more) confusion.

What about an entry to the Glossary stating that compliance is a synonym
of conformance that the QA WG doesn't encourage to use? It would both
avoid that this question arises again and sets the idea clear on which
word should be used.

Dom
W3C/INRIA
mailto:dom@w3.org