Re: conformance vs. compliance

From: Lofton Henderson <lofton@rockynet.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 10:31:27 -0600
To: Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, Mark Skall <mark.skall@nist.gov>
Cc: Art.Barstow@nokia.com, www-qa@w3.org

At 05:53 PM 8/9/02 +0200, Dominique HazaŽl-Massieux wrote:
>[...]
>What about an entry to the Glossary stating that compliance is a synonym
>of conformance that the QA WG doesn't encourage to use? It would both
>avoid that this question arises again and sets the idea clear on which
>word should be used.

This is the solution I like best.

To answer Alex's later suggestion "explain why" -- I would think it enough
to say that we're deprecating it within the Framework documents (hence
within QA) for the sake of consistent terminology (see SpecGL checkpoint
13.4, "Use the same words to express the same ideas.").  If it is felt
necessary that we explain why we chose conformance versus compliance, we
could point to the (currently greater) legacy of abuse of "compliance".

-Lofton.