RE: Outline for Umbrella Specifications in ViS

In my usually style - I suggest being simple, short, and to the point.  For now, how about we just introduce the concept.  This is rough, but to give you an idea, how about something like:

It is not always practical, desirable, or possible to have a monolithic specification - that is, one that presents the requirements for a technology in a single document.  The Working Group may produce several documents that act collectively to specify the technology (e.g., Web Ontology Language OWL).  There are all sorts of reasons for having or needing a collection or series of specifications to describe a technology.  These reasons include:
-- the technology is too big to present in one document,
-- the technology evolves over time
-- the technology is easier to understand or organize as multiple documents
-- the technology consists of several disciplines that revolve around a single information model or framework.

In these cases, there should be a single document, called an umbrella specification that ties all the documents together.  The umbrella specification serves as foundation document for the entire collection or series.  It can provide:
--a roadmap to the documents, including listing them
-- a global view to the technology,
-- an explanation or rationale for creating a series of documents
-- a description of each document
-- terminology that applies across the technology
-- describe the relationship among the documents
-- conformance clause for the technology
-- discussion of the conformance model and/or conformance consequences when selection among the documents.
-- PICs for the technology
-- a tutorial to the technology

Examples of umbrella specifications
(we have several)