Re: Legal Issues (Was: QA Framework Last Call -- request for review)

I have some serious concerns about the applicability of the Document
license to software. Not surprisingly, since the license was devised for
specifications, the terms "software" or "code" are not even mentioned.
Even if we extend the interpretation of "document" to include "code",
the license does not seem to grant the rights to "use" the software that
I believe were intended. Was this proposal reviewed by a lawyer? (An
attorney at Sun has raised similar concerns, and I suspect that
attorneys for organizations hoping to use these test suites would also
be concerned.)

One size does not fit all. If there is a need for a more restrictive
license than the current W3C Software license, then I think we may need
to create a new one to serve this purpose.

========