Re: Obsolete features - LC Issue 40

At 08:29 AM 4/14/03 -0400, you wrote:
>In HTML 4, the obsolete is defined as:
>Obsolete
>An obsolete element or attribute is one for which there is no guarantee of
>support by a user agent. Obsolete elements are no longer defined in the
>specification, but are listed for historical purposes in the changes
>section of the reference manual.
>
>HTML 4, defines deprecated as:
>Deprecated
>A deprecated element or attribute is one that has been outdated by newer
>constructs. Deprecated elements are defined in the reference manual in
>appropriate locations, but are clearly marked as deprecated. Deprecated
>elements may become obsolete in future versions of HTML.
>
>These definitions are consistent with the SpecGL explanation and
>definition of deprecated.  To satisfy LC Issue 40, I propose the following:
>
>1.  Modify the 2nd sentence of G7, as follows:
>"Deprecated features should not be used and may be removed in some future
>version, at which time the feature becomes obsolete". (and link to the
>definition of obsolete)
>
>2. Add a definition of obsolete:
>"Obsolete
>A deprecated feature that is no longer defined in the specification and
>has been removed from the specification."

I think that the word "deprecated" should be deleted.  Unless it is really
a key part of the definition that a feature can only be defined to be
"obsolete" if it has first been "deprecated".  If that is *not* a key part
of the definition, you could add a second sentence about relationship to
deprecated:  "A feature is often deprecated before becoming obsolete."

>3.  Add a checkpoint to address obsolete:
>CP 7.6 Identify each obsolete feature [P3]
>Conformance Requirement:  the specification MUST document each obsolete
>feature.  It is not applicable if there is no obsolete features.

Ed comment.  Change "It is not applicable if there is no obsolete
features." to "This checkpoint is not applicable if there are no obsolete
features."

>Explanation:  Obsolete features are listed for historical purposes.  There
>is no guarantee of support for obsolete features by implementations of the
>specification.
>
>ExTech: obsolete features can be listed in the change section of the
>specification (HTML 4.1)

-Lofton.