Re: ICS for Spec Guidelines

At 10:14 AM 12/4/2002 -0500, Karl Dubost wrote:

>At 7:45 -0700 2002-12-04, Lofton Henderson wrote:
>>At 08:51 AM 12/4/2002 -0500, Lynne Rosenthal wrote:
>>
>>>I also am a bit confused.  We agreed that the SpecGL should have an ICS
>>>and I think that the Checklist with some additions could serve that purpose.
>>
>>Actually, I thought it was a suitable ICS "as is" (although I might add
>>an instruction that any "N/A" answer link to an explanatory comment, in a
>>section after the table.)
>
>Sorry about that.
>

>>Since Karl is the 2nd person to assert that SpecGL does not have an ICS,
>>it raises a question about the checkpoint (which I asked earlier):  in
>>order to satisfy it, you MUST publish an ICS.  MUST it be labelled as an
>>ICS?  Or SHOULD it be labelled as an ICS?  Or ...? I.e., SpecGL's ICS is
>>labelled as a "Checklist".  Does SpecGL pass or fail?

It fails.  Not only is it not labelled as an ICS, it's not included with
the guideline AND we don't tell implementers (i.e., spec developers)to fill
it out.

Mark Skall
Chief, Software Diagnostics and Conformance Testing Division
Information Technology Laboratory
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8970
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970

Voice: 301-975-3262
Fax:   301-590-9174