Patent policy call for comments.

From: <vsedach@ucalgary.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:10:53 -0700
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>

Like many users of the GPL and other free-software licenses, I've
recently
been informed of Item 3, Section 3 of the proposed patent policy ("may be
limited to implementations of the Recommendation, and to what is required
by
the Recommendation"), and do not agree with the restriction that it may
place on users of free software licenses. Both the restriction on
"implementations of the Recommendation" (what constitutes an
implementation
is, as far as I can see, not defined in the patent policy) and the
conformity to the requirements of the Recommendation interfere with a
free-software license user's right to modify and extend software
implementing W3C's Recommendations.

Regards,
Vlad Sedach