[www-patentpolicy-comment] <none>

From: Kendall Helmstetter Gelner <kgelner@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:47:51 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I write as a concerned owner of a (very small) business.

I am in particular concerned with section 3, item 3, covering
Royalty-Free (RF) Licensing Requirements, which states:

"3. may be limited to implementations of the Recommendation, and to
what is required by the Recommendation;"

My concern is that with the spread of small customized devices, this
clause might limit the ability to use a particular standard in other
environments.  I am currently developing some small programs for
cell-phones, but there are many other devices that would seem like they
might be shut out because they are not traditional web-browsing devices
and use of the standard might not seem to constitute exactly "an
implementation of the standard", especially if they are part of a chain
of components that make use of some standard as an intermediate step to
the final presentation of data to a user.

Ideally, I should like the see the clause removed as I don't think
there is any way you can allow a kind of restriction that will not trip
up a developer eventually and thus bring practical limits to the
"standard" which otherwise would have none.

Thanks for your consideration,

---> Kendall Helmstetter Gelner