'Field of Use' restriction

From: Peter Abramowicz <pabramow@web.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:39:48 -0700
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
I would like to add my support to position presented by the Free Software Foundation regarding section 3 of the W3C proposed patent policy. Item 3 of that section says that the royalty-free license may "may be limited to implementations of the Recommendation, and to what is required by the Recommendation".

Since this 'field of use' restriction contradicts Section 7 of General Public License as well as the spirit of the GPL, I would urge you to remove that item form your recommendations.

Peter Abramowicz
Arachne Web Designs
pabramow@web.net
(403) 708-6016