In opposition to RAND licenses

From: Steven Barker <scbarker@uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:42:44 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I am writing to express my opposition to the change of W3C patent policy.
Specifically I oppose the inclusion of patented technologies that are not
licensed on a royalty free basis.

So called "reasonable and non-discriminatory" license terms are not
acceptable for inclusion in many Free software projects.  The Mozzila
project for example uses compliance with W3C standards as one of it's major
goals.  As a user of Mozilla and occasional contributor to the project, I
would be very upset if it was not legally possible for some standards to be
met because of patent issues.

I hope that the W3C will remain fully committed to truly Free standards, and
reject the proposed policy change.

--
Steven Barker                                      scbarker@uiuc.edu
  You may my glories and my state dispose,