About the RAND license

From: x <x@x.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 02:18:49 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
We should expect this to destroy the usefulness of open standards and
bring a big step back to the days when software companies had total
control over your computing experience. The Internet itself only exists
because of the adoption of an open, non-patented standard, TCP/IP.
Imagine if Microsoft, for example, had a patent pending on TCP/IP,
where would we be now? Every little Internet app author would have
to fork out cash to them, probably on a yearly basis.

/X