noncommercial perspective

From: Michael C. Gilbert <mcg@gilbert.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 17:13:06 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Hello --

Please accept these brief comments of concern about the working draft.

I have been involved in noncommercial Internet work for many years
now. I am the President of the Nonprofit Technology Enterprise
Network. I publish Nonprofit Online News. I have worked with hundreds
of nonprofit organizations and scored of foundations on the future of
nonprofit communication technology.

I cannot state my concerns strongly enough: To adopt the RAND model
will be to undermine the very foundations of the noncommercial
Internet. I argue further that to undermine those foundations is to
undermine the social value of the Internet itself.

A "level playing field" as established by RAND based patent
enforcement is impossible. If the playing field is in space, only
those who can afford spacecraft can play. The massive amounts of
innovation and social good that have come out of free and open
standards is almost impossible to measure. But clearly, it would not
be impossible to destroy.

Don't do it.

-- Michael Gilbert

P.S. Please keep me informed of progress on this matter.

Michael C. Gilbert                                  mcg@gilbert.org
The Gilbert Center: Nonprofit Communication, Incubation, Innovation

   Social Ecology: <http://www.socialecology.com>
   Nonprofit Online News: >
   Online Fundraising List: <http://www.gilbert.org/fundraising>
   Gilbert Research: <http://research.gilbert.org>