RAND Licencing

From: <ss@technicalpursuit.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:44:40 -0600
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I am writing to express my extreme concern over the W3C's RAND proposal.

As a long-time user of the internet and world-wide-web I can't imagine
a rationale for such a policy other than one designed to weaken the W3C's
ability to push the web forward. I can imagine a number of scenarios in
which companies whose best interests do not lie in universal cross-platform
technology being freely available would push for RAND-style standards.
The weakening of the W3C's status and ability to move the computing
industry forward would strengthen such companies hold on the industry.

A clear implication of RAND standards policies is the likely formation
by strong open-source supporters of a new consortium whose charter forbids
such activity. The creation of a second consortium would drive a stake
into the heart of what makes the web work -- a single set of standards.

I have only the greatest respect for what the W3C has accomplished to date.
It would be a tragedy to see the power of the W3C reduced by choosing
a direction that would clearly divide the web community and those whose
programming efforts continue to drive technology for the entire world.

Scott Shattuck
President/CEO
Technical Pursuit Inc.