W3C Patent Policy Framework

From: John Jensen <jjens@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:15:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

I've seen your working draft and I must say I don't like it.

I certainly see that web standards should support the transport of
proprietary (or patented) technologies, but I don't believe that web
standards should specify or endorse those proprietary (or patented)
technologies.

The web has become, perhaps by accident, a technological "commons" upon
which all players may cooperate and/or compete.  The value of that commons
has been proven by the rapid and diverse communities that have developed
within it.

I believe the role of the W3C should be to ensure the continued
development of that commons.

Thank you.

John Jensen
jjens@primenet.com