New patent policy

From: Ken Arromdee <arromdee@rahul.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 14:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I'm writing to express my utmost opposition to this change.  Allowing
patented standards would kill off free software.  A fee which is "reasonable
and non-discriminatory" for a company would be unaffordable for a free
software developer working by himself or with other free software developers,
who writes software that is given away without cost.  Even if that problem
were surmounted somehow, it would still be impossible to write free software
that implements patented standards because free software may be copied and
modified an unlimited number of times; any 'standard' which charged a fee
based upon the number of copies would be unusable.

The only reasonable fee for a standard is zero.