It is so sad to see the W3C go

From: David Waite <mass@akuma.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:04:05 -0600
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Allowing patent fees and terms to be imposed on standards will mean the
end of the W3C; it becomes a vehicle for corporations to standardize
amongst themselves rather than an open standards body which allows
outside implementors (including Free and Open software developers) to
implement those standards.  By the events I've seen (including
practically no announcment, and executing on this new policy before it
is even ratified), I doubt the 300+ dissenting messages in this forum at
this time will sway the decision.

Still, I would urge for more consideration, even though I doubt the
people (or rather, large corporations) which could act on this will ever
read this comment, or for that matter act on it if they did. Once you
allow for fees to be imposed on standards (and even worse, openly allow
for patent fees to come out of the woodwork after a standard is
ratified), nobody will pay attention to W3 standards except the
companies listed as authors of the document. Eventually they will
realize that its much more efficient to just talk amongst themselves,
and us outsiders won't even have the benefit of a standard which cannot
be implemented.

I think the rest of us will cope with the death of the W3C, but it is
very disappointing that we will have to.

-David Waite