RAND licensing model

From: Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:38:07 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear Sir/Madam,

Having just been made aware of the W3C's proposed RAND licensing scheme
for standards, I would like to voice my objections. The Internet as we
know it has been created by fully open standards, enabling everyone to

Whilst an organisation is obviously free to develop a process which is
based upon a patented device, I do not believe it is in the wider
interest of the Internet community for such processes to become global
standards, and thus I do not believe the W3C should be encouraging such

Yours faithfully,

Philip Kendall

  Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>