RAND licensing model

From: Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 19:38:07 +0100
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Dear Sir/Madam,

Having just been made aware of the W3C's proposed RAND licensing scheme
for standards, I would like to voice my objections. The Internet as we
know it has been created by fully open standards, enabling everyone to
participate.

Whilst an organisation is obviously free to develop a process which is
based upon a patented device, I do not believe it is in the wider
interest of the Internet community for such processes to become global
standards, and thus I do not believe the W3C should be encouraging such
standards.

Yours faithfully,

Philip Kendall

--