RAND policy

From: unprivileged user <peter.j.johnson@att.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 06:10:33 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
It would be a terrible thing to allow "standards" promulgators to
establish "standards" that
include a dependency on any of their patents, unless they are willing to
license them royalty-free under at least GPL or LGPL conditions.
Because so-called intellectual property
invariably depends on prior art, this sort of knavery can only be an
attempt to limit choice
in the market place by "unknowingly" drafting "standards" that limit
implementation to those
employing bogus patents that can only be licensed (or successfully
overturned) by
well-heeled organizations, usuallly with bogus patents of their own to
cross-license.

"If I have seen further, it is only because I have stood on the
shoulders of giants."
-Sir Isaac Newton.

--
Peter Johnson