A good hit to the open & free nature of web development

From: Vicente A.S. Werner <thewind@thewindrider.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:01:52 +0200
To: <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>
That's what I feel about RAND on it's current terms, a good hit to the
baseline of the open & free nature that has delivered the WWW tecnology to
it's current state. While it could be good to introduce some standards
slightly patent encumbered (even I think that souldn't be accepted easily,
and only when there's no patent free alternative on sight), W3C shouldn't be
allowed to endorse any standard that has a potential menace on it (patents
not declared free to use for the development, deployment and use of the
sanctioned standard). This is a scaring posibility allowed by current RAND
terms exposed by the W3C.

Vicente A. Sánchez Werner
thewind@thewindrider.net