Fee-based Standards

From: Jeremy M. Dolan <jmd@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:38:14 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I just read Adam Warner's comments on your "Patent Policy Framework".
[http://www.openphd.net/W3C_Patent_Policy]

I would strongly caution W3C from endorsing any standards that are tied
to patents with so called "reasonable and non-discriminatory" terms. The
fact is any such terms are most certainly discriminatory towards public
domain and "Open Source" software.

I also encourage you to resolve any outstanding patent claims, such as
Kodak's identification of U.S. Patent 5,459,819 as a possible
"essential claim" regarding the SVG specification.

I assure you it would be a public relations catastrophe for W3C if
you were to proceed any further down this course.

Sincerely,
  Jeremy M. Dolan
  jmd@pobox.com