image damage, legitimacy of w3c endangered

From: barbapapa <barbapapa@myrealbox.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 08:56:47 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
adopting that silly patent policy would look like prostitution.
w3c, the defender of open system-independent standards, would
suddenly look like a cheap whore paid & bribed by a few big
companies. And then, I bet there would be other organizations
setting up really open standards and questioning the legitimacy of W3C.
You can imagine the consequences...
So think twice before doing such a huuuuuuuge mistake.
My recommendation is that you quickly set up some (any) nice
vendor-independent standard in order to make people forget this shit
and to find your legitimacy back.

Yeah, I know that the review period is officially over. I don't care.
I just hope someone reads this nevertheless, or (even better) that w3c has
already thrown that silly idea away and working on a strategy to
overcome the image loss.

Sincerely,
Barbapapa

P.S: hey, no offense. I like the w3c. That's why I don't want it to change
and throw its principles away.