Patent Policy Framework draft

From: Jens Laland <laland@drillcon.no>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:33:15 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
World Wide Web Consortium
Patent Policy Working Group
www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

Dear W3C Patent Policy Working Group,

I'm concerned about the recent Patent Policy Framework draft, which
could allow W3C members to charge royalty fees for technologies
included in web standards.
In particular, I object to the inclusion of a "reasonable and
non-discriminatory" (RAND) licensing option in the proposed policy. I
believe that the exclusive use of a "royalty-free" (RF) licensing
model is in the best interests of the Internet community, and that
RAND licensing would always necessarily exclude some would-be
implementors.
I applaud the W3C for its tradition of providing open-source
reference implementations and its work to promote a wide variety of
interoperable implementations of its open standards. The W3C can best
continue its work of "leading the Web to its full potential" by
continuing this tradition, and saying no to RAND licensing.

Sincerely,
Jens Laland
PO Box 463
N-4349 Bryne