Just say no

From: <larfx@ticnet.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 08:41:23 -0500
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
Hello,

Who thought this up? It is very simple, allowing a person or company to
have a patent on a standard does not create a standard, it creates a
monopoly of sorts. I don't think anyone legitimately feels that it is
anything other than a proprietary technology if it is patented. If you
are having to pay to use a standard, it is not a standard, just another
product. You have W3C "standards" as the base guidelines for use of the
web and not as a "pay for proprietary information" system. This is truly
ludricrous and if you do this, I am sure that we could create a new
standards group to replace you and your money grubbing members.

Have a nice day,

Larry