Attack on democracy?

From: Martin Leisener <martin@leisener.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 03:14:40 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I don't see a problem with the status as is,
so why change it? I'm not sure why it is only
so obvious to me, that having "closed
standards" is very much violating freedom
of speech. Because who tells you, that
in the future (or even right now) the
converters of for example text store
away you want to. Who can proove that
what you have typed will be written in file.
Maybe it secretly forbids certain combination
of words, or changes the phrases to your
disliking. What can guaranty that there will
be no censoring for example in Mail-
exchanges. Who can guaranty that for
example electronical voting mechanisms
really deliver the votes as secretly and
unchanged as they should be.
In my opinion every step towards "closed
standards" is a dangerous step towards
jeopardiesing our freedom.
How can you asure me with "closed
standards" that my horror-vision will not
come true?

ciao Martin from Germany