patent policy reponse

From: Zach Welch <zwelch@superlucidity.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 18:14:18 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
To whom it may concern,

I sincerely hope that you will not modify your policies to encourage, or
even allow for, RAND licensing. I personally would not support any
'standards' encumbered by such restrictions and would actively suggest that
others avoid them as well. All W3C recommend standards need to be completely
free of licensing issues in order to ensure their widespread acceptance by
the Internet community.

I do like the desire to avoid submarine patent issues and hope that your
policy limits the effect of them. However, I would rather see work on a
proposed standard thrown out than have a company try to cash in on what I
believe should be an unencumbered end-product.

As a strong supporter of free and open-source software, this issue is very
important to me and my colleagues, and I hope you take these views into
account before taking action.

Sincerely,

Zach Welch
Superlucidity Services