From: F J Franklin <F.J.Franklin@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:58:43 +0100 (BST)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I would like to thank Chris Lilley for his answers which have alleviated
most of my concerns regarding SVG and the W3C's proposed patent policy.

However, as an Open Source developer, I do not agree whole-heartedly with
his statement that 'RAND is better than "nothing at all"':

> Right. RF is better than RAND, but RAND is better than "nothing at all"
> which would have been the situation had we not done that.

I suspect that this difference of opinion is shared by many and is the
cause of the outrage expressed in the community.

Francis James Franklin