Re: Apple's SVG patent

From: Glenn Randers-Pehrson <glennrp@home.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 08:51:42 -0400
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
I wrote:
>OK, look at pnmcomp.c, dated 1992, in the NetPBM tools.  It does precisely
>what Apple's abstract says, using a separate file for the alphamap.

My oversight: pnmcomp works with a grayscale image as the alphamap.  It
doesn't allow for separate maps for each color channel (it's not stated
in the abstract that that is what Apple claims, and mention of black,
white, and intermediate color level of a pixel [not "sample"] implies
they are talking about grayscale image used as the mask).  As I said,
I haven't seen the actual claims.

Glenn