Re: Concerns raised by new patent policy / Correction

From: <Philippe.Aigrain@cec.eu.int>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:16:02 +0200
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
My previous comment
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-patentpolicy-comment/2001Oct/0063.ht
ml
included a statement about Richard Stallman's proposal to use the term UFO
(uniform-fee only) instead of Reasonable And Non-Discriminatory (RAND).
> Richard Stallman has considered to replace the proposed Reasonable And
> Non-Discriminatory policy by "uniform fee only". I personally think that
> this would still be excessive, and that a royalty-free policy is
necessary,
> but Mr Stallman's plea may be envisaged as a mid-term position.
I had misunderstood Mr Stallman's proposal as suggesting some intermediate
policy between royalty-free and RAND, while in reality he only wanted that
the new proposed policy (which he criticised) is presented under a less
misleading name. My apologies for the erroneous presentation of his views.

Philippe Aigrain
Head of Sector "Software Technologies"
European Commission DG INFSO/E2 Office N105 3/54
Philippe.Aigrain@cec.eu.int
Postal address: rue de la Loi 200, B-1049 Brussels, Belgium
Office address: avenue des Nerviens 105, B-1040 Brussels
Secretary: Tania Devroede Phone: +32.2.295.0411 Tania.Devroede@cec.eu.int
Phone (direct): +32.2.296.0365
Fax: +32.2.296.7018
http://www.cordis.lu/ist/ka4/tesss/