Re: more on the cookie include

From: Lorrie Cranor <lorrie@research.att.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:19:38 -0400
To: "Clifford Lyon" <Clifford.Lyon@cnet.com>, <www-p3p-public-comments@w3.org>
> I've added the cookie include elements to our policy file. One thing I
noticed - the w3c validator doesn't understand the named-attribute syntax in
the most recent draft:

> <COOKIE-INCLUDE name="mycookie" value="*" domain="*" path="*"/>

The validator should be updated within the next week or so.

> Also, when I looked on other sites, all of the sites I saw had the old
unnamed ordered name,domain,path syntax. For example:

> <COOKIE-INCLUDE>mycookie .mydomain.com *</COOKIE-INCLUDE>
>
> What's the thought about P3P compliant user agents? Should they understand
the only the most recent syntax, or should they make an effort to understand
both versions? Will the validator be updated?

User agents are only required to understand the latest
syntax, however, some may understand the old syntax as
well. My guess is that those currently under development will
understand both for a while, but after a few months new
versions may drop support for the old syntax. So sites really
should plan on adopting the new syntax by the end of the year.

Lorrie Cranor