Re: WAP Competitors ?

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 01:09:35AM +0000, Sandeep Hundal wrote:

> Actually I had a feeling that NTT's services might be a WAP competitor....

NTT has a presence within the WAP Forum. Also, i-mode is restricted to
Japan at this point in time - everyone else is going for WAP. It makes
sense for NTT to move into a future version of WAP.

> Has W3C collaborated with NTT on the development of WAP or any
> recommendations ?? Is C-HTML something the W3C is looking into ??

Both WML and compact HTML have been submitted to the W3C as notes. Also,
HDML (basically the predecessor to WML) has also been submitted to the
W3C in the same way. You ought to be able to find these with a search.

There is a formal liaison process between the WAP Forum and the W3C for
converging the standards. I don't think anything similar exists between
NTT and the W3C.

> And lastly, does NTT DoCoMo intend to launch its services in Europe in
> competition to WAP, anyone know ??

i-mode runs over a network called PDC. I don't think PDC is deployed
anywhere outside of Japan.

> Sandeep

Andrew Scott .................... http://purl.oclc.org/net/andrewscott/
Telstra Research Labs, Melbourne ......................................