Re: Mirroring Unicode symbols in Arabian

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:40:11 +0000
To: Daniel Marques <dani@wiris.com>
CC: www-math@w3.org
On 19/02/2013 11:01, Daniel Marques wrote:
> Hi,
> In RTL Arabian math, some symbols like belongs or “subset” are mirrored
> but other symbols like arrows are not. I am wondering if there is some
> specification somewhere. I’m checking the behavior with Mozilla and some
> symbols are mirrored and other not.
> For example, can we conclude that all symbols at ISOAMSA are not
> mirrored while the symbols at ISOTECH are mirrored? Or do we have to
> decide symbol by symbol?
> Regards,
> Daniel Marques
> www.wiris.com <http://www.wiris.com>

Yes there is a mirror property in Unicocde

The unicode.xml file used for the mathml entity sets has this
information eg for subset

<character id="U02282" dec="8834" mode="math" type="relation">
          <unicodedata category="Sm" combclass="0" bidi="ON" mirror="Y"

note the mirror="Y"

There is a link to that from

The ultimate source is the Unicode character database

Is the master source for most of the information but there are derived
files, in particular

has the characters re-ordered by mirroring property rather than codepoint.

(If I got any of this wrong, Murray will no doubt correct me:-)