RE: Mirroring Unicode symbols in Arabian

Thanks a lot David!

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlisle [mailto:davidc@nag.co.uk]
Sent: martes, 19 de febrero de 2013 12:40
To: Daniel Marques
Cc: www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: Mirroring Unicode symbols in Arabian

On 19/02/2013 11:01, Daniel Marques wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In RTL Arabian math, some symbols like belongs or "subset" are
> mirrored but other symbols like arrows are not. I am wondering if
> there is some specification somewhere. I'm checking the behavior with
> Mozilla and some symbols are mirrored and other not.
>
> For example, can we conclude that all symbols at ISOAMSA are not
> mirrored while the symbols at ISOTECH are mirrored? Or do we have to
> decide symbol by symbol?
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel Marques
>
> www.wiris.com <http://www.wiris.com>

Yes there is a mirror property in Unicocde

The unicode.xml file used for the mathml entity sets has this information
eg for subset

<character id="U02282" dec="8834" mode="math" type="relation">
          <unicodedata category="Sm" combclass="0" bidi="ON" mirror="Y"
mathclass="R"/>

note the mirror="Y"

There is a link to that from

http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/#source

The ultimate source is the Unicode character database

http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/

UnicodeData.txt

Is the master source for most of the information but there are derived
files, in particular

http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/BidiMirroring.txt

has the characters re-ordered by mirroring property rather than codepoint.

David
(If I got any of this wrong, Murray will no doubt correct me:-)