Re: round symbol

FWIW, I did a quick test with Maple (the only interesting target I have at hand) and both

get interpreted as Maple's function 'round' applied to 3.5.
I suspect (in this case and similar ones) Maple just takes whatever cdata the first child of apply has and uses it as a function name. If it happens to coincide with a function Maple knows, then it will work. (In some other cases, like <ci>plus</ci>, Maple clearly does know what function it is actually meant, since it converts to the standard + sign)

eduardo