From: Eduardo Tabacman [mailto:eduardot@dessci.com]
Sent: lunes, 05 de noviembre de 2012 16:35
To: David Carlisle
Cc: Daniel Marques; Paul Libbrecht; www-math@w3.org
Subject: Re: round symbol

FWIW, I did a quick test with Maple (the only interesting target I have at
hand) and both

get interpreted as Maple's function 'round' applied to 3.5.
I suspect (in this case and similar ones) Maple just takes whatever cdata
the first child of apply has and uses it as a function name. If it happens
to coincide with a function Maple knows, then it will work. (In some other
cases, like <ci>plus</ci>, Maple clearly does know what function it is
actually meant, since it converts to the standard + sign)

eduardo

On Nov 5, 2012, at 12:11 PM, David Carlisle wrote:

> On 05/11/2012 14:38, Daniel Marques wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> Another option could be, <ci>round</ci> which is more general and
>> allows a free interpretation by the posterior usage of the content
MathML.

> Or better I think <csymbol>round</csymbol> as using csymbol rather than
ci gives the hint that it is referencing some externally defined function
(rather than a local variable in an expression within the page) just by
not giving a cd or definitionURL attribute you are declining the
opportunity of referencing a particular definition.