Re: Default token for Unicode character

On 07/24/2009 09:24 AM, Christoph LANGE wrote:
> In the very general case, you don't always get a unique answer,

While I don't doubt this is true...

  as functions
> can also occur as constants, i.e. without arguments.  E.g. instead of sin x or
> sin(x) you'd have statements like "let f = sin, then f(x) = ...", or "the
> [function] vector space spanned by the set {sin, cos}".  I'm sure this is also
> true for certain function symbols that have their own Unicode characters.  But
> actually it might not make a difference for you, as

I think the current concensus is that functions, like
sin, should always be marked up as <mi> (preferably followed
by <mo>&ApplyFunction;</mo>, when applied).
Of course, the distinction here between a function and
a prefix operator is not so completely clear, and
is likely more related to syntax than semantics.

Presumably infix & postfix must always be <mo>,
even if one wanted to think of them as a function
rather than operator, since &ApplyFunction; doesn't help.